Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Seven Week Anniversary


I’ve retreated back to the mountains for some sunshine, rest and quiet! After three days in the noisy, foggy city for my sister’s baby shower, I am exhausted and feel like I have jetlag. It was wonderful to be home although old habits die hard; I simply tried to cram too much in. I was running on fumes and adrenalin, wishing for the energy I was privileged with before June 16th. Again the long road of recovery humbles me. I’ll just have to Carpe Diem in my own new post-op kind of way. Today is my seven-week anniversary (yes, I’m counting weeks now instead of days) and I can actually start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My face is still improving every day, which, to me, is nothing short of a miracle. I’m extremely optimistic that, in due time, the rest of it will recovery as well (my eye will close when I sleep, taste will come back, my left eye will tear when I cry… and if not, it’ll be my party trick).

I’m still learning to cope with being deaf on one side but have figured out that turning my good ear, like an old fashion ear trumpet, truly helps. The tinnitus is brutal because it never really stops ringing or swishing – but, again, I’m sure that’ll continue to heel as everything adjusts, and I’ll have peace and quiet again one day. I do have an appointment next week at Stanford to find out if I retained any hearing and what my options are in terms of a hearing aid. Fingers crossed!

The vertigo is its own beast - I feel like I’m drunk all of the time and trying to keep from falling over. When I get too tired, I have to use my arms to help guide me. Because I have already noticed improvements, I’m confident that this will continue to recover as the right side gets used to taking care of the left.

Luckily, unlike Cousin Eddie, my titanium plate doesn’t inhibit me from getting too close to the microwave. (Chevy Chase’s Christmas Vacation anyone?)

Rumor has it that the cost of surgery is going to be $250k +/-. Guess I don’t have a million dollar smile, but I'm happy with a quarter million dollar smile… even if it does veer to the right.

Thank you for supporting me and getting me to today. Seven weeks ago I would not have thought it possible, but you reminded me that it was. And here I am, ear trumpet and all!

5 comments:

  1. So happy to hear you are improving and adapting everyday. I am constantly sending you good thoughts!!! Hope to see you soon.

    Kelly L

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a beautiful person. Good thoughts to you, Adri.
    --David Mann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so luck to know you. Glad things are going well at the seven week mark! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me laugh, I can actually hear your voice when I read these words. I love that tearing from your right eye only, may be your new party trick. I love you much and cannot wait to see your beautiful veering to the right smile again. -G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adri. Just got a chance to read this. My taste has yet to come back - but it's amazing what you can "live with." I would love to see you sometime...I know that our paths will cross again in time. Praying that God is right with you...and thankful for insurance. You are so wonderful and strong. Ah - had that virtigo and it SUCKED so bad. Took me a month to the day for the brain to heal. Hang in. - Love, Andrea L.

    ReplyDelete