Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I didn’t get shampoo in my eye today…!!!!

Thanks to modern technology and the iPhone, I was able to have a “virtual” appointment with my Stanford surgeon and his fellow while I was in the mountains… and they think they have a diagnosis for me explaining why I was having so many changes in my facial appearance and its function. They believe that I have an uncommon, underreported phenomenon called Delayed Facial Nerve Palsy – and that it is treatable. A miracle, if you ask me. While I was in the hospital, they thought I had aseptic meningitis but I tested negative for it. One of my surgeons co-authored a medical study on Delayed Facial Nerve Palsy. The report drew the conclusion that a pseudo aseptic meningitis diagnosis predisposes patients to this virus. After a long phone call with the doctors and using my iPhone to send about 15 pictures of my incision, ear and various facial functions (i.e. smiling, winking, raising my eyebrows), they were confident with their diagnosis and even went as far as to say, “Adri, we’re going to get you your smile back.” Music to my one, good ear.

With the help of five new medicines, my doctors set the expectation that most people get better within six weeks to 1 year, but I am already noticing improvements. Instead of waking up every morning with double vision and some new facial weakness issue – and the fear that comes with the unknown of getting worse, I am waking up better. I didn’t get shampoo in my eye when I showered this morning implying that my eye was able to stay closed. Again, a true miracle in my opinion.

Thank you for following the blog, and for your support and prayers that have helped me get back on the path of recovery. I can’t wait to see you when I’m back from the mountains, and hopefully show off my fixed smile!

(Side note: Don’t you think I should call Apple and tell them about how the iPhone helped me? “There’s an app for that.”)

5 comments:

  1. Adri, so glad to hear that your eye is getting better, & that your doctors have figured out your newest situation. You are challenging your doctors, aren't you?

    I, too, am in the mountains, but in North Carolina ~ what a great country we inhabit to have mountains east and west of the Mississippi River. Some day, I hope to visit you in your mountains. I have my cell phone with me, 727-560-0010 if you have time to call. I did get your house #, but when I called, your mom was just getting ready to serve dinner to friends, so we didn't get to call. I loved reading your most current blogs & am glad that you didn't stop them. Ice cream cone stuck in your head ~ leave it to crazy Mike. You're in my prayers daily! Hope to talk to you when you feel up to a phone visit. Many hugs and much love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH!!! That is AWESOME news!!! I am so so very happy, Adri! These blogs... always bringing tears to my eyes... how beautiful that your pretty face will be working for you in all it's familiar ways. And what incredible docs you are working with... truly a blessing. After all you've been through, it is so very good to hear that you are getting better, and your beautiful smile is too. SO happy. Love you tons and tons my Adri!!
    Bolles
    P.S. Maybe Apple will pay you a million dollars to tell your story. It could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adri,
    that really does sound like promising news. What a relief. I had Bell's Palsy in high school and lost nerve control of one side of my face for a few weeks. It was really scary and also uncomfortable (shampoo, food falling out of my mouth, not being able to blink enough to keep my eye moist, drool,...!). I am very hopeful for you that it will continue to improve.

    lots of love
    Ashley E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adri,

    You crack me up! And you are handling all of this "stuff" with such grace and poise. I think you should call Apple, write Apple, AND write a book about all of this and add your great attitude. You could help millions with what they are going through. Then when you have your smile back you would have more to smile about!!!

    You are still in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adri,

    You look FABULOUS! You are as beautiful as ever! We love you,

    Louise and Kramer, Katherine and John

    ReplyDelete